25 September, 2007

We are all one

Today, while I was reading for next Saturday's class I came across a sentence that said, "Today writers must think like designers and designers must think like writers." This may sound stupid and obvious but I finally found the point of the pub design program. In this program one of the main questions between students is "are you a writer or a designer?" I always classify me as a writer--but by asking this question to our peers we are missing the entire point of publications design. Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of this question many times over but that is no excuse. Instead of classifying ourselves as one or the other maybe we should take a bold leap of faith the next time we are faced with this question and say "I am both." Ultimately, no matter what we started out as, we will become a writer and a designer.

No comments: