24 September, 2007

describe it to me (part I)...

First, I would like to say that I am in love with the McQuade/McQuade book Seeing and Writing. After this class is over I know that I will go back and read everything I never got a chance to read as well as go back and re-read everything I've already read. This past week for show and tell we had to find examples of description. I found three that I really liked from three different readings. Here is one:

The Pencil by Henry Petrosky:

"Ink is the cosmetic that ideas will wear when they go out in public. Graphite is their dirty truth."

I like this description because it makes the pen and pencil human. By transforming it from an object into something organic really makes me think about all the possibilities that each one holds.

2 comments:

Rieko said...

I totally agree with you about "Seeing & Writing" by McQuade & McQuadde. I will definitely re-read the book for my entertainment even after this semester is over. I really like "The Pencil" too. I also like the picture of the pencil beside the story. Its exaggerated shadow in the picture indicated that a pencil cannot be treated lightly - what it produces through its graphite can be so powerful. The picture and story reminded me of "The pen is mightier than the sword."

Content Blogger said...

I'm with you here. I must admit, the cover didn't appeal to me at first. I was pleasantly surprised after I read the first assignment. I find myself giving too much tim eto reading the book and not enough to our other texts. I'll have to fix that. The book is great educational entertainment for any communications student.