19 October, 2007

one rough draft? please.

This passage is from Sin & Syntax. I found it to be especially true to the way I have been writing lately. No such thing as one "rough draft" exists to me anymore. Since being in words and images I re-write my texts sometimes 7 or 8 times before I even think about making it my comp. Then I go back and re-vise a few more times. Reading this calmed me down, in a way, because now I am realizing this is the real way to write.

Writing affords us a luxury we lack in conversation: we can go back to recast our sentences, paying attention to syntax and sensuality in a way that's impossible when we're expounding extemporaneously--in speaking or in writing. And, paradoxically, when rewriting works, the prose sounds natural. It echoes our true voices.

No comments: